Search

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Inside the flooded house

Drowsily I aroze from the nights slumber, just like a million previous mornings.  So initially everything seemed usual and I padded out to the bathroom. Still half asleep, I noticed the bathroom, toilet room, laundry and kitchen floors were awash with water.  Of course there had been a torrential downpour last night, but nonetheless I was surprised to be in a flooded house.  
 At first the carpets in the other rooms were not affected. Unfortunately water subsequently got in almost all around the house perimeter and now the carpets squelch beneath my bare feet as I pass through the house.   I go about my business almost as I normally would. At least this is not as bad as Queensland, I agree with the SES guy who pops by for a few words. A stranger has placed a rolled beach towel and a small bank of tiles against the outside of the laundry door to stop the water. This is very considerate. Thank you whoever you are.
 The water inside the house had taken on the hue of dark brown mud as I mopped up and this was a messy task. The rain continues and has not stopped at all although is lessened and the water is under better control.
 I saw the first multipede since a month or so (as they are supposed to be  hibernating), on the laundry lino and the snails are climbing joyfully up the exterior house walls, windows and anything vertical outdoors as is their privilege.
 Many roads in North East Tasmania are blocked. Binalong Bay is inaccessible. More rain is forecast. I am expecting electricity supply failures, but hopefully they will not occur.
 This house has flooded before I suspect as there were rusty marks on the lino in the laundry cupboard when I moved in and the lawn is sometimes very swamp like when it rains. It is situated at the bottom of a watercourse. Up at the top of the hill, the houses are not flooded.  Obviously it is smarter to live on high ground. TV reception is better there too probably. I have no functioning TV anyway though so who cares about that, I dont miss it much since its mainly rubbish.
  The  TV programs I like are art, lifestyle,architecture and nature related for the most part. A sweet movie I viewed the other day was from 1971, set in Paris and the Camargue region titled - Friends - with music of Elton John.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camargue
 All about the Camargue at the above link.

  The rain has now practically stopped falling and I am just waiting for the squelchy floors to dry. Just now I enjoyed sipping a beverage concoction of my own design which I make from mixing some of the hot water that I cook red kidney beans in with creamy milk. Delicious and nourishing.  Earlier for morning tea I ate a slice of buttered carrot ginger cake which I made sans recipe. By chance nonetheless edible although I am definitely not a gourmet cook. I am prepared to eat cooking mistakes as long as they are my own making. I am happy as long as I know what went into each unappetising bite.
 Recently I read Alain De Botton's book titled- The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work.- Which I describe as a profound and readable analysis of work and economies.
 I am currently reading Lisa Jardine's - Going Dutch - How England Plundered Holland's Glory.    In this I find interesting information about art dealing and sales in that period. All of which are enmeshed in the history, politics, dynastic interests and liasons of the time. A lack of photographic evidence is made up for by the inclusion of descriptive historical illustrations and exquisite  paintings from the Northern Rennaisance Dutch and Flemish schools of perspective realism including works by Titian, Rubens and Vermeer.
 Because of the flood problem where I currently live almost at sea level and in a watercourse as previously mentioned, I have decided to sale price some paintings to raise money for a house up the hill where flooding is not a problem. Examples of these contemporary paintings of abstract and modernist genres can be seen at Aquamarine Art Gallery :http://konstsian.blogspot.com/
If considering purchase telephone:
61 from outside Australia 03 0488002412

Legal Information




*This site and contents are Copyright All Rights Reserved Annika Merchant* and may not be reproduced anywhere, in any form, for any purpose.

Domestic post modernist architecture

Domestic post modernist architecture
Door design circa 2009